AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What are the disadvantages of shimming your openers too tight?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 4/26/2017 06:24 (#5982676 - in reply to #5982478)
Subject: RE: What are the disadvantages of shimming your openers too tight?

mac4440 - 4/25/2017 21:37
mhagny - 4/25/2017 16:58

dpilot83 - 4/25/2017 10:24 Our neighbors who run coulters and SD fert openers have no issues so I was aware of what you describe. I'll have to look more closely at what you're talking about but so far every coulter and wrap around row cleaner combo that I've looked at has been challenging for hose routing for the dry fertilizer hose from our air cart to our SD fert opener boot.

Coulters ahead of the seed openers cause a lot of problems with pulling up mud that clogs the other components, with planting more weed seeds, and destroying valuable mulch.  Coulters also rob downforce away from your seed openers.  Coulter / row-cleaner combos are notorious for plugging in stripper-harvested stubble.  Adding a coulter may create more headaches than it solves.

Just get rid of the side-band opener and apply your fertilizer as a separate pass (preferably dry b'cast).  You can thank me later.

If you are pulling up mud with a notil coulter running 2" deep, park the planter.

That's not always possible.  Sometimes your window for growing a crop is rapidly closing. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)