AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Variety Locator in GS2
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Macy
Posted 9/14/2006 18:42 (#43794 - in reply to #43648)
Subject: Fairly open...

Actually, in fairness to Deere, they were pretty open with their components this time around... much more so than with GS1.   Just some random thoughts here, at the end of a long day:

• We've been able to write setup cards and prescriptions since mid-spring... about the time that they got the GS2's actually working.   So, that's MUCH better than has been the case for third-party integration with other new hardware offerings.   Normally us third-party guys get components 6 months to 2 years after the new hardware or new hardware features are available.
  • The spring was rough, trying to integrate with them, because the GS2 wasn't really ready, and because EIC (the software component that we use to read and write cards) was changing under our feet.   But, Deere support to us was pretty good, given the pressue they were under on all fronts.
  • We FINALLY got to where we can read GS2 yield data cards earlier today.   The delay was more on our end than Deere's... We've had the same version of the software for three months, but couldn't put resources toward implementing it.
  • Documentation to third-party developers is virtually non-existent.  But, then my documentation to third-party developers trying to use FODM probably leaves something to be desired from their viewpoint, tooTongue out
  • With GS2, Apex and the rest of the world are reading and writing cards with exactly the same software components (EIC).  This is very good news.  On GS1, I had to write against one set of components, and JDOffice used different code to read and write.   That was two separate codebases for Deere to maintain, and which do you think got priority?   Now, we can assume that if Apex can read it or write it, then any other software vendor should be able to do the same.   Agco is the only other company that I'm aware of that reads and writes their data cards with the same software they give to other vendors.
  • It is really frustrating that EIC is a knock-off of FODM.  And most all software companies had already been forced into using FODM, at least around the edges.   When you look at EIC, you can see almost a one-to-one match up between its objects (farms, fields, products, crops, varieties, machines, etc) and the FODM components.    It is unfortunate that Deere could not have reviewed FODM and made EIC compatible with it (via a wrapper if nothing else) if not actually use it.   Agco has fully adopted FODM (more later on that in another thread).
  • Deere won't let third-party vendors read/write guidance info, purportedly for liability reasons.   That is the only place they remain closed.   Trimble doesn't seem to feel it is an issue.  And, unfortunately, the way that EIC is implemented makes it impossible to use third-party software and to use saved guidance lines.    Fixing this is a pending discussion.
  • GS1 was the most complete in-field documentation tool available, until this spring, when surpassed by InSight and the GS2.   That's right, that old brown box with an 8 button menu let you record more field operation data, and in a structured manner, than any other device out there.   Multiple products.  Product, machine, operator, environment setup all done in the office, with full support for units of measure.   This required a level of support from destop software that made integration difficult for some companies, and it required a system of complex cross referencing.   Well, the GS2 takes that robustness much, much, further.   And, to their credit, out of the box, you can fully set up the monitor with your desktop choices and be good to go.  None of this crap of having to define your attributes while in the field, and having unstructured data with no logged units of measure.

That's a long-winded way of saying that I think Deere made great leaps in being open... in spite of it having been something less than a wonderful spring and summer for some parts of the process.

Hmmmmmmmm...  that sounds like I'm in love with Deere.   Well... let's just say I have respect for the hardware... or what it will be next year.   I'm frustrated as all get-out with their unwillingness to work with the rest of the industry BEFORE the release of EIC, and I sure don't understand what they are trying to accomplish with Apex.

Edited by Macy 9/14/2006 20:49
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)