AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I monitored downforce on mine last year,
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

KMech
Posted 4/18/2017 13:16 (#5969346 - in reply to #5966141)
Subject: RE: I monitored downforce on mine last year,

Missouri
I'm a skeptic as well. The thing is, none of these systems change the weight of the planter. Your total downforce is still always equal to the total weight of the planter. Applying downforce to rows means it's carried on gauge wheels if it's not used by the opener. Your average planter having about 8 times more gauge wheels than frame wheels, why not distribute a little extra weight? Not all of it, mind you, but some. Leaving it on the frame wheels gives yield reduction to pinch rows.

There are guys with VERY specific circumstances that can benefit from these systems. The key is knowing if you are one of them or not. I don't think much of people I see hard selling this very specific solution to people in more general purpose applications.

I haven't read every study on it, but the few I've seen smelled like there might have been cherry picked data in the results. With cherry picked data, you can prove anything.

Do your own homework. Be thorough. Choose carefully. Probably don't make a decision based on internet opinions (mine included).
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)