AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn on wheat stubble vs bean stubble?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NWNODAK
Posted 10/28/2016 07:44 (#5604503 - in reply to #5604286)
Subject: RE: Corn on wheat stubble vs bean stubble?

NWND
Mikenesd - 10/28/2016 01:51

Thanks again. I don't know the particulars of your rain fall paterns last fall, mainly how much rain you got between when the wheat quit using water and when the soybeans quit using water. What would be interesting to me is what the soil moisture levels was between the soybean stubble and wheat stubble at planting time. My thinking is if they were the about the same, then the soybean stubble would have the advantage due to the faster breakdown of the residue,because of its lower c:n ratio.
 On the other hand, if the wheat stubble had more soil moisture starting out in the spring than the soybean stubble, then the corn in the soybean stubble might still be better if you put the same amount of n on both stubbles, but if you put more n on the wheat stubble, it might make up for the slow release of n from minerialization, and to make better use of the extra water.  

Well since this is all on the same qrtr. My wheat would have quit using water about Aug 1 2015 and the beans about Sept 20 2015. So I would say the wheat had better moisture reserves from maturing earlier and better snow trap last winter.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)