AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Couldnt take it any more. Bought me a combine!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Rich
Posted 9/20/2008 02:26 (#464938 - in reply to #464928)
Subject: Re: Couldnt take it any more. Bought me a combine!

Kansas
Find a good used 930. It can handle it. Then stretch the auger out. That way when you decide you are ready to be the BTO I know you can in another 5 years (grin) you already have the plat for the 9610 your going to goto next. As far as that is concrned.........if the 230 works ok, leave it on. I've seen alot of 200 series on 9000 series combines. Who gives a rats butt what it looks like, Go buy a case of deere green spray paint and have the kids come out and have a good time with the plat. Take the reels off and give them black and do it all over again.

You know, kinda funny you mention rotary backup. I run the deere, the old man and lil brother run a 2388. That combine will eat my 9600's Lunch but I don't care. They also work on it alot more than I am the 9600. Just a plain ole reliable combine as long as you give her the attention before you start harvesting like you should.

Yea, if your "lil bit of play" is the same as in my mind then that is par for the course on the walker blocks. I'm surprised he pulled the woods and put the aluminums in. Deere "here" still swears the aluminum is the updated and best way to go and I am almost fully convinced that those that use the wooden ones............coff coff, not going to name any pbnames.....er. whoops, heh heh........that they simply don't like to get grease on thier hands. Kinda common for the ones that can't handle milo itch either.........*GRIN*

Well, sounds like your wife just fell in love with you a little more. ha ha.

Did you find the grease zerk at the 90 degree bend of the unloading auger where it comes out of the grain tank and then goes lateral to the end of the auger? Swing the unloading auger all the way out and you'll see a place there to put grease through a zerk.

Make GD sure that Clear Tube on the right side under the gull wing to the back of it is full of oil. Most people (yours truly included) changed over to grease in there and pump it full at the beginning of every harvest with fresh. I cannot for the love of god tonite remember what the correct name of that gear box is but after harvest we'll have you do a check on it to make sure that the bolt that holds it on to the front walker crank hasn't sheared off and it's about to fall off. If you get to fix that one.......gonna need another set of hands.

Did you grease the two ujoints that are on the driveline that goes through the graintank? You can grease the rear one standing up on the topside of the return elevator where it comes out under the seives. When you get that zerk in position to grease.........the one inside the tank should be in the right place too. The gear box that shaft goes to behind the cab change oil in it every year. Gets pretty black and smelly with the small amount it carries and no filtering system. 50 hours on those driveline u joints.

If your maximizer is like mine on 100 degree days in the shade it will notoriously get hot about the 3rd day of harvest. Not at all uncommon. open up the rotory screen and swing the ac and oil cooler coils out and you'll see how the chaff is built up against the rad. I don't know how that chaff gets in there but I fight this problem every year. Blow it out and good again for another 3 days.

If the cylinder gets out of balance from dust collection on the backside of the bars engage the cylinder and rap it up and then let it wind down again to a stop. 2 or 3 times and it shakes enough dust off that it runs smoothly again. I never noticed on the 20 series I ran but the 9000's it is a problem occassionally. If you get in green weedy stuff it gets worse and then the only time I ever shut the seperator off is moving between fields or the end of the night.

About all the quick right now tips I can think of to help you finish your harvest smoothly that you will more than likely run into.

Oh yea, not sure how warm it is up your way right now but if during the heat of the day you get the feeling that the a.c. is not doing it's job.......go and lift the right gull wing and where you see the heater coil hoses going into the cab. Take a pair of vice grips and clamp one down. That will stop the flow of engine coolant in there. Deere needed to put a shut off on that and you can do it after harvest is over when you get time. Me, I went through the trouble to pull the buddy seat out and do it under there. Let me tell you, on cold evenings cutting milo, it got pretty damn cold in there with even just the fan on and I didn't ever think to pull the vice grips the next day because by the time I got the machine serviced it was warm and ready to go cutting again.

As for fixing the 8820.........you know, there are such things as spontaneous combustion. How bout an experiment? some oily rags from the hydralic leak fix experience piled near it with a mirror shining direct sunlight on them? Heh heh heh.

Your still Lucky it wasn't a massey. You wouldn't of had any money left over after buying parts to invest in another machine.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)