AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Thermal Image Stitching
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

Derrick W
Posted 5/14/2016 08:14 (#5300763 - in reply to #5299953)
Subject: RE: Thermal Image Stitching

The color ramp adjustments has to do with a flat field correction. The absolute temp values is separate, but both are important to this kind of work.

Most of the cameras used on sUAS have a spot meter, like 4x4 pixels in the center, that measure absolute temperature. The Tau2 does this (which we use), and I believe the Vue does as well. The NEW Vue Pro-R is able to record absolute temperatures for all pixels, which makes it a lot more practical for work like this IMO.

I'm actually a career firefighter and my initial interest in drones was for firefighting. I'm not a thermologist and my first-hand experience with drones & thermal is solely related to firefighting, not agriculture or anything related to photogrammetry, so take this with a grain of salt - My opinion (that i'm basing purchasing decisions on) is that the bare-minimum features needed for the sensor to be used like this is 640x480 resolution, the ability to perform a FFC remotely, and absolute temp values for every pixel. The new Vue Pro-R seems to meet these. I know there is some discussion on whether or not uncooled cores are able to provide data that is reliable enough for agriculture when mosaic'd, but I don't really know the details and I'm just regurgitating what I heard from some nerds I trust.

I still haven't done much "looking into" regarding using thermal for ag, but ag isn't the only thing we do. Some (most) of the other work DOES require absolute temps for all pixels, and I assume it would be needed for ag as well, if you wanted it to be able to integrate with and be interpreted by software.
Just to reiterate - I'm definitely not an expert on LWIR, this is just what I've found in the last couple years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)