AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Machinery Salesmen
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 8/13/2008 06:25 (#434174 - in reply to #434016)
Subject: RE: Machinery Salesmen

West Union, Illinois

I like #2 but expect #3.  I walk away from #1

I spent years as a salesman (not farm machinery) and found most customers didn't like a "fluffed up" quote.  Maybe it was just my selling style.  I'd tell them if they needed to see big numbers for their trade-in I could make it look good on paper,  but they and I both knew what a trade in was really worth.  The important thing was what would it cost to do it?

One time I do make an exception is when I am just "fishing".  I see something on a dealer's lot that interests me, but I am not sure I want to trade and he hasn't seen my trade in item.  I'll tell the salesman I want a ball-park figure to see if I am interested, and if it is in the area of what I want to spend then we'll get serious.  I'm not going to hold him to it, but just gathering information.

Few things irritate me more than trading something and finding it listed by the dealer at a price much different than I was quoted as trade in value.  I understand making a profit, that's why you do it.  But don't tell me it's worth $300 and list it for $3000. That makes me feel taken advantage of.  Even more important don't tell me it is worth $3000 and list it for $300.  Then the dealer has lost all credibility and probably won't see me again for a long time.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)