AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Disaster assistance buy in now open
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ksfarms
Posted 7/26/2008 17:54 (#422486 - in reply to #422387)
Subject: How about this scenario...

I buy insurance every year. 4 weeks ago a wind storm green snapped over 90% of my irrigated corn. Federal crop insurance had me leave strips to check later, and I planted it back to really late milo in July (while the corn had insurance, the milo is uninsurable since they'll pay for only one spring planted crop). Undoubtably the final count will be a very large loss.

I had heard there was a permanent disaster part of the new farm bill and asked the people at the Farm Service Agency if it would qualify, and they have no clue. They don't know how it works, have no claims being processed, and in fact, were not aware of any disaster provisions in the farm bill until I told them. I know sign-up is still going on, but I wonder when they will be in-serviced on the program.

Does this sound like the kind of thing that will qualify? Does the county have to be declared a disaster area to be eligible? Will the loss data be automatically transferred from Federal Crop Insurance to the Farm Service Agency on losses and disaster money automatically distributed, or will the producer have to make an appointment to report the disaster losses? Will 2008 disasters be paid in 2009 or later?

Thanks for any info!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)