AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Subsurface Drip Irrigigation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tmrand
Posted 7/14/2008 10:01 (#415234 - in reply to #415044)
Subject: RE: Subsurface Drip Irrigigation

Southeast Colorado
There are several of these systems in our area now. The water conservation aspect is great as I hear that you can irrigate approximately 1/3 more acres with the same amount of gallons. However there have been a lot of disappointments also. The varments won't leave the tape alone. The tape requires repair jobs quite often. Especially after sitting over the winter. When we have been extremely dry the ability to water your crop for emergence is not there. Also where they are growing corn, the mite problem has increased and usually requires more chemical control than sprinkler irrigated corn. I guess the lack of humidity and water washing on the leaves makes for mite heaven when it is hot and dry. These are just some of the issues people are dealing with here. FSA cost shared 75% of the $$ on most of these systems at a price of $12-$1500 per acre. Now they only offer 50% cost share so I don't think a whole lot more will go in. Maybe in vegetable country they work but I'm not so sure about grain crops.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)