AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

European Cornborer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

JDH SE IA
Posted 7/11/2008 10:55 (#413536 - in reply to #413522)
Subject: RE: European Cornborer

Burlington, IA
Hi Eric,

ECB normally finds the greenest, latest planted corn in a given area as the most attractive, and will gravitate there. Of course, there's a lot of that this year, but the fact that it's conventional corn doesn't help any. Probably the thing to do at this point, is to continue to scout it, and see what kind of 2nd gen. hatch you get. There is the possibility that if we continue getting some of these duck drownders, some of the egg masses might be washed away, and/or some of the new hatched larvae might get drowned, thereby reducing 2nd gen. population, but I wouldn't rely on that as a solution. If you scout and find evidence that a significant hatch is about to occur/occurring, be prepared to spray with the appropriate insecticide. With the price of corn where it is, down corn and weak ear shanks can get expensive fast, compared with the price of a treatment.

Another thing to consider as well, is the application of Headline or another product at the appropriate time. We're going to have enough problems with disease with all this moisture. But since they've already tunneled into the stalks, every borer hole into that stalk is a ready-made point of entry for pathogens of all types to enter that stalk. At the least, Headline, etc., will help make for a healthier, better standing plant this fall, at least from a disease standpoint, not to mention the yield increase aspect. It might, however, take 2 applications. I'm not sure if the timing, or labels, would allow for a combined trip.

Of course, my 2 cents is worth exactly what you paid for it. Some one else should have a better recommendation. Just one more problem to contend with this year. At least it's not flooded out.

Good Luck,
JDH
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)