AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hybrid Pearl Millet
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ahay68979
Posted 7/9/2008 08:39 (#412128 - in reply to #411877)
Subject: RE: Hybrid Pearl Millet

Saronville NE
I planted some on the 17th of june, mine is allready 6in tall, but I planted the golden german millet, it never gets as tall, but is very fine stemmed and tons up, very fast, you dont think so when lookin at, but swath and bale and cant beleive how fast it tons up. We are gettin ready to plant 400 acres of pearl millet behind irr wheat, pry next week or late this week. From what Ive seen with havin couple thousand acres of it the last few yrs, it starts kinda slow, but usually just takes off when it decides to grow, if you have had lots of rain, your fertilizer is allready down to deep for the roots to reach, it is really shallow rooted. We had a quarter last yr, that kinda looked like what you are describing, had put 40 lbs of 28% on it planted in good moisture, ran the pivot around once and put 1/2 in on, was yellow all yr and real up and down as far as height, was planted around 10th of july and swathed around mid to late sept and was anywheres from 3- 8 ft tall, but still made about 4 bales to the acre, cant really explain what happened, the rest looked good, just this field. I like it over sudax because its not near as stemmy and drys faster for balin. If I had my pick I would plant everything to the german millet, cause it dries in like 3 days and is very fine stemmed and makes really nice feed, but, the guys I rent my irr wheat stubble ground from to put feed on, want regrowth after we cut it which means pearl millet, so they have something to catch snow with just like the wheat stubble, plus they think its nicer to notill into in the spring. Dont know if any of this helped just my expereince, give it time it comes around fast or at least has for us.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)