AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Automatic Startup
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/12/2008 06:54 (#395795 - in reply to #394978)
Subject: RE: Found it!

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Thanks Ed -

Yes, we were making it too hard. I tried creating a new small playlist with only four tunes in it. I saved this playlist to the Desktop and then "inserted" it into the Startup menu as you suggested. Upon restarting this computer, the usual startup gyrations were performed and then Media player was launched and the music started playing. I wll have to try it with the laptop and my much larger playlist but I see no reason that it shouldn't work there also.

This is same procedure that one might use if they wanted any other type of data file to startup automatically. I tried inserting an Excel spreadsheet into the startup menu instead of the playlist. When the computer was restarted, Excel was launched with the specififed speadsheet. This might be handy if a base speadsheet were to be used on a daily basis.

Concerning the antenna, I hadn't thought about using a "car" antenna and will pursue that idea also. Would I use the 75 or 300 ohm connection? I guess trying it both ways won't cause any damage.

On the pseudo random number generator - I remember when I was teaching many years ago we had several Apple IIe computers around the building and I played around with them quite a bit.

I created an automatic seating arrangment program that I used throughout the year. I would enter the student's names in a data list and then have the BASIC program pick a random number for each student's seat. If that seat had already been used, the choice was discarded and another random number was chosen.

This was an example of brute force computing since by the time the program got to the last student's name, the majority of the seats were already taken and many random numbers might have to be discarded to finally find an empty seat.

The program then printed out the seating arrangment. If I didn't happen to like the arrangment I would run the program again. If the kids complained (Junior High), I just blamed it on the computer like everyone else in society was doing.

I'm not sure what the random number generator was based on for a "seed" starting value but I would get the same seating arrangement each time when I started from a cold start. Doing other things or running the program a second time gave more of a true random number start and created a different seating arrangment.

Edited by tedbear 6/12/2008 21:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)