AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Automatic Startup
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/11/2008 07:51 (#394978 - in reply to #394161)
Subject: RE: Automatic Startup

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Ed - thanks for the tips.

I did as you suggested and got my Shortcut to my MP3 folder on the Startup Menu. When the computer was restarted the folder was opened and appeared on the screen. Then I could click on the Play All item to get the music going. I was hoping that the music would start automatically.

Possibly I need to add Media Player rather than the folder to the startup menu.

Later Edit- I created a Shortcut to Media Player on my Desktop and then put it into the Startup group. On restarting the computer, Media Player did start automatically and opened with the previous playlist as Ed indicated. Like Ed I do have to push the "GO" button to get the music playing.

If we could find the "switch" that Ed refers to, I will have accomplished my goal. Granted it's not very hard to click on the Play Icon but the computer takes a long time to get going and it would be handy to have it "take off" and start playing on its own.

For an experiment I tried right dragging my Excel shortcut to the Startup menu. This worked well and Excel opened to a blank worksheet. This would be handy if Excel were expected to be used for every session.

Even though I have Media Player set to "Shuffle" so that I get random music, the system seems to "like" the Allman Brothers as they are usually the first group played when I start up. The tunes after that are somewhat at random but there seems to be some definite patterns. I suspect the reason that the Allman Brothers are played so often on startuphas to do with the fact that they are "early" in the alphabetic listing. I have my music arranged by artist and subfolders for the albumn and then the individual tunes.

My external HD is connected via USB with an older pre 2.0 setup. The system says it could operate faster but the music itself seems fine. It spends a fair amount of time retrieving all the files (tunes) on intitial startup due to the large number involved.

All in all, this works well for the shop environment especially since I can't get FM radio inside due to the double metal wall. I'm looking into an external outdoor antenna that will suit my purposes.

That's another story in itself. I tried a temporay TV type antenna with good results (I tied it on the back of a hayrack for my tests). However I don't really want to go through the hassle of mounting this antenna on the shed. I'm looking for an omnidirectional antenna that can pick up local stations but yet be easy to mount and maintain.

I need the new TV antenna on the house since my current one is in poor condition. It can pick up the local stations poorly (analog) but doesn't do well with the digital format. My Sharp LCD TV can handle digital TV but the antenna just doesn't do the job very often. When the switchover comes about, I will need a better antenna to be able to watch the local stations with any confidence. I usually watch satellite TV but the local News is useful at times.

Any ideas for the FM antenna for the shop? I don't envision watching TV there.

Edited by tedbear 6/11/2008 08:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)