AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DBF files
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

MikeNC
Posted 5/7/2008 21:49 (#373372 - in reply to #372862)
Subject: Re: DBF files

Your suggestions inspired me to look at other programs I already had. It looks like Access will do the job; I've just got to learn how to use it.

I wanted to avoid anything you'd describe as tedious. I really didn't need to change the polygons and coordinates -- in fact I wanted to be careful not to. I just wanted to download soil test results into a spreadsheet, crank out the rates of each product I wanted based on my own equations, and paste a whole column of new rates into the dbf file that was a part of my shapefile prescription the last time we spread fertilizer. That's not tedious but its not an automated and approved process either.

It seems like the Ag GIS programs either take full control of the process such that you can't really see what is going on and remain in control of 'grid' size and placement OR they give you that tedious level of detailed control where you have to type in each number individually.

I do import the altered file into SMS to review it and print a paper map for the truck driver. I usually export that map to a shapefile to go on the card straight away to minimize goofs.

I do have Office 2003 that is supposedly installable on Vista. If I did that, the question is if I would remember which Excel I'm supposed to use to do what when it comes time to spread fertilizer next year.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)