AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I have 15 years before the boy goes to higher education... ? on $$$$$
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Russ In Idaho
Posted 12/8/2014 05:26 (#4226555 - in reply to #4226212)
Subject: RE: I have 15 years before the boy goes to higher education... ? on $$$$$

I've done a little of all of them for savings 529's, CD's, pass books(very little), savings bonds. And also just rat holing some cash. Yes we had the 529 hit a slump when my oldest started college, held on and it came back. I credit my father for starting the 529's for my kids. Told me it was the only way to go with savings. Well when the economy took a turn for the bad. Dad was really crying about how bad they were doing. I had the cash I rat holed for the kids, was able to get by until the 529's came back. Really the best investment I've ever done for education is a small livestock herd for kids, better return for me than playing any markets for me. And when something dies, I get the satisfaction of dragging it off to the dead pit and knowing a smooth talking investment broker didn't get it.

Really most of their expenses were met by working for the farm in the summers and weekends from college. They were paid for labor. They come home almost every weekend from school, it gave them a break from school(60 miles) to clear their heads. Gave me some real quality help that knew what was going on at the farm & ranch and I didn't have to baby sit them. My kids vehicle expenses were paid by me, they were offered their mother's hand me down cars with high miles 250,000+.All repairs, fuel, tires, etc. where paid for by me. They never had to pay for them, only maintain them here at our shop. That really was the best investment. They never had car debit, and they learned the value of taking care of a car to last you in lean times. The oldest boy's Buick is still going strong at over 380,000 miles, a niece took over that car for the half the cost of the tires on it.

I think the best thing my oldest learned was to get through school with no debit. Now the second boy will be a challenge he is wanting to go to vet school, so far so good on that one. I had a lot of pride in the fact that when people asked my oldest boy how many miles were on his car, and he took pride in taking it to high miles and never having engine or transmission problems. That was the turning point, when he got over thinking he needed a diesel 4x4 truck and could drive a car to school. Now he out of school and has that nice new 4x4 truck(not diesel) with no debit.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)