AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 1210a grain carts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 8/1/2006 10:09 (#31703 - in reply to #31676)
Subject: Re: JD 1210a grain carts

I ran a 1210A from 1978 till 1998, probably 2/3s of our grain went through it in the fall. Many complain about corn packing down on the bottom auger & ruining the slip clutch. You can do as you said in your post & leave it sit on the end & bring the truck to it or empty it completely each time when dumping on the go.. There is another option. The carts came with a shield over the bottom auger but most got removed & stuck in a corner of the barn or throwed away because they slowed down the grain flow when unloading. Only time I ever ruined the slip clutch was when I removed the cover and was dumping into it on the go in 22%+ corn. Learned right then to leave the cover in, though I did shorten it a little to increase flow. That was the only slip clutch I ever put in the thing.

Another problem was that on the 1210s & 1210A the unload auger was too short which made it difficult to unload into a semi hopperbottom or a straight truck that has 54" sides. In those situations you had to load the truck from both sides.. UFT put the longer augers on their carts but for some reason JD wouldn't., probably because the auger stuck out past the side of the cart when folded. Our JD dealer at the time also sold UFT carts so he would order in the extra long auger thru UFT & put them on the 1210As & would send the short JD auger back to UFT in exchange. If the cart has the short auger if you can find the auger tube & flighting from a JD 7700 combine it's the same as the 1210/As auger, just cut out a piece & add to the grain cart auger.

As stated the split rims & airplane tires were a joke. Made the cart pull hard & sank in mud. Most of the combine rims from that era will fit as there was a thread earlier wher someone mentioned using Gleaner rims & a poster here mentioned using White combine rims. Rims off an IH 915 will work as well as I bought a set of Ficklin rims with 23.1x26 knobby tires from a guy who put on 32.5 tires & 915 rims on the his new cart.

Main difference that I saw between a 1210 & a 1210A is in the drive. On the 1210s the slip clutch is attached directly to the gearbox & the pto is connected to the slip clutch. On the 1210As there is a chain that runs from the slip clutch to the gearbox. Can't recall the exact settup but it was a better system. A friend had a 1210 & he was always tearing up his augers or gearbox. But then he could tear up an anvil with a tack hammer.

Not much to check for. Look at the auger flighting & tubes for wear. Check the bearing at the back of the bottom auger, & the one at the top of the vertical auger as well as the bushing where the vertical auger folds. Also pull the plug out of the gearbox & get a little oil on your finger & smell to see if it has a burnt smell to it. If it does, walk away from the cart & don't look back.

Overall, if treated right they are not a bad cart for the money. Trouble is you don't know how they were treated before. I wouldn't mind having my old 1210A back to use use as a backup cart as our cart now won't quite fill a semi. I believe there are better carts out there but depends upon how much you are willing to pay
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)