AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where's all the bred heifer demand?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

MichBeef
Posted 10/6/2014 08:19 (#4111952)
Subject: Where's all the bred heifer demand?

Breckenridge, MI
This may get a little wordy so I apologize in advance.

I had decided to sell most of my cow herd and put the equity into an opportunity to feed calves at work. I had advertised and probably contacted five or ten different people, letting them know that I was taking bred heifers to a special Brood Cow & Feeder Calf sale in Battle Creek Saturday. Of the 8 I took, 6 were bred so I was pretty happy with those results.

They sold a few bred cows before mine and they brought between 1600 and 1800 so I wasn't too worried, they open the gate on the first of my bred heifers, probably the second best one in the group and the auctioneer struggles to get $1,100 bid. I took her home. I let a few in the middle go (probably shouldn't have) for 1,050/1,100 and took home the other heifer that I thought was the best of the ones I had. All the bred heifers I sold were 1,050/1,100 and the 3.5 year old cow brought $1,100.

So where is all this demand? I would've thought anything with a calf inside of it would sell like it was covered in gold. Feed is cheap and calves are high... what am I missing?

And how do I go about moving these two that I've got?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)