AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cattle too high to buy? Am I looking at it all wrong.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Texas Papaw
Posted 10/7/2014 08:20 (#4113606 - in reply to #4113411)
Subject: RE: Cattle too high to buy? Am I looking at it all wrong.

Central Texas
Cows usually average 12-1300lb and am willing to pay up to $1.20lb which would be $1500 for a 1250lb cow. Younger cows are even higher. Problem is the vast majority of this type cows are bringing $1650-1800 hd and paying that much would mean giving away my feed and working for free.

Part of the problem is we had very good rains in June and most everyone had a lot of feed along with low cow numbers from previous drought so they want to buy more cows really bad. Have been drying out since July and most are starting to feed hay, so hoping another month or so of hay feeding will reduce demand. Hopefully fall will bring increased cow supply and reduced demand. Will still be exploring other options and continue to practice Brock's law.

Something I have to keep reminding myself, is whether things are really difficult or really easy is "this too shall pass". Figured out several years ago that "the only constant in life is change". Bottom line is change is coming and no good way to avoid it. Can either learn to adapt and work with change or dig in your heals and get run over by it. I'm trying to adapt. However, not easy for this old dog to learn new tricks. LOL
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)