AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Using up fall grass. still rotating, fall pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/5/2014 22:26 (#4111546 - in reply to #4110642)
Subject: RE: Using up fall grass. still rotating, fall pics

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Every breed has their pluses and minuses. They fit a certain need or they would not be around.

I feel Herefords are very well suited to my type system. Most Herefords are fairly docile with a good temperament. This is important when they are often only an arm's length way when making a rotation. They are also very respectful of a single hot wire. Herefords also do well on a mostly grazing/little grain system.

There are also differences between individual animals within a breed. Best to purchase your foundation animals from a good breeder who raises them the same way you plan to.

My plan is to develop a home grown herd of "pure" Hereford cows up to my carrying capacity, whatever that turns out to be, then experiment with different bulls to see if there is reason enough and heterosis enough to make the crossing worthwhile.

It may be tough to duplicate the success and dispositions of my Hereford bulls however. I don't want any bull of any breed where I have to be afraid to be in the pasture with him.

I'm glad you enjoy the pictures. Several folks have said the same thing. Maybe not the same method as others use but just one of many ways of raising cattle. 

Stick with the schooling for now...  and good luck!

Jim

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)