AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tips for making Father/Son Farm Partnership work
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

cornncows
Posted 9/4/2014 22:15 (#4056388 - in reply to #4056222)
Subject: RE: Tips for making Father/Son Farm Partnership work

Ne Nebraska
Being in your situation I can only say what has worked well for me. If I were you I would work out some sort of agreement with your family to manage a small parcel of land. Maybe rent a small field from your family or even better find a piece of ground to rent to add to the current operation. Trade labor for use of your family's equipment. Go to your father for advice and do what he says! You may have other ideas but he has the experience. You will have plenty of time later to try new things. You will realize there is a rhyme and reason he does it that way. As you show your capability to care for and manage he will get more comfortable turning more over to you.
I would also suggest trying to find a niche you could add to the operation. I have always loved working with cattle while dad does not own any. I started small and have built a herd that I am really proud of in the last 5 years. I have also been fortunate enough to pick up hay ground and buy my own line of equipment. This actually started haying before owning cows doing custom work.
You will have to put in long hours and lots of sweat equity but it will all be worth it as you get more and more involved into the operation.
Good luck and best wishes to you in beginning your farming career!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)