AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tips for making Father/Son Farm Partnership work
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

SilverClayON
Posted 9/4/2014 10:37 (#4055177 - in reply to #4053320)
Subject: RE: Tips for making Father/Son Farm Partnership work

SW Ontario
I am in almost the identical situation as you, (26 and getting married next year) and work with dad on the farm fulltime. After graduating university 4 years ago (ag economics) and working off the farm in summertime came home fulltime and definitely took some time to "adjust" to each others habits. I would say recognizing both of your keen interests and more importantly WEAKNESSES is the most important thing in working side by side. While we still have our disagreements we work very well together.

I do have to say that dad has been the most positive and trusting person I've met in allowing me to try new things and letting me make those mistakes that have to be made so you can learn lifelong lessons. We discuss any major decisions together and value each others' input, but at the end of the day he is the one who built the farm to what it is and he holds the final say. I do have some ownership in the farm corporation but he maintains CONTROL until he is ready to pass that on.

Going back to interests, are there two different aspects of the farm that each of you can manage day to day? For us that is fairly simple in that he looks after most day to day activities in the chicken barn while I make most agronomical decisions on the cropping side. Works very well and gives time to be apart for portions of the day.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)