AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Stock dog training
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 5/31/2014 18:26 (#3895347 - in reply to #3894679)
Subject: RE: Stock dog training

south east Indiana
Honestly I will be up front and say I have not worked with many heelers but as a general rule you do not want to get young dogs/pups worried about things you are going to need them to do.

There are known fear periods pups "grow" through as they age. Each one is different but during these times they are more sensative shall we say.

Pups at 6 mo I feel are testing things out. Do I really need to come when they call or can I blow them off, did they really mean I can't eat the boot maybe I will try it later ect. It seems some hit this stage anywhere from 6 to 10 mo and some again at a year plus. So make sure you are Clear and Consistent on things.

His 'concern' about things - cattle or loud noises or other scary stuff is hard for me to say without seeing him and how he acts and reacts. Some dogs are the I am going to get you before you get me types when concerned, some are I will sit back and watch, some are two steps forward 3 steps back 2 more forward.

I would not allow any working dog out in the pasture/coral /with stock with out you. Only leads to bad habits -if they can get to stock on their own they have no need for you. I think most pups if they are with you on a lead so they have to come when called, stay close to you, can't get into trouble...will take comfort /reassurance because you are there. I would not reward or encourage his concerned behavior. Dont make a big deal of it. Hey fella this is what we do and it is no big deal lets go kind of thing. NO "poor boy those cows are aweful" If something is confronting him, looking at him, stomping ect then move it out of his way. Be his partner, encourage him to do the right thing. Then he will look to you for help and want to please you.

I am a firm believer in starting a pup on the right stock in a small enough area where you can help them when they need help and you can correct the wrong stuff. You can't do that is a pasture of even 3 acres and you cant do that on moma cow. I have started dogs that are going to work cattle on sheep because you can safely - for them and you - teach them the basics then graduate up to calves then on from there.

Many folks are happy with a sickem type of dog that harasses stock till they eventually go the right direction - not me. SOme dogs learn to stay behind with the 4 wheeler or horse and people and just push that is ok. I want my dogs to do more than that but it takes time and training and some maturity to go with instinct. Many folks do not want to put that time into a dog. You have to figure out the skills you want him to learn and the attitude in which you want him to work.

So I never answer dog training questions with do A and B will happen because it doesn't work like that. Each dog is different each situation is fluid with lots of moving parts. You, the stock, the dog the thing to do 30 seconds ago might not be the thing to do now. I would keep him with you in the pasture and see what that does for him. Look to see when he is concerned, in what situation. Then work with that slowly as his confidence builds or avoid it till you have a better idea of how to help him.
You are welcome to come down and I will try him on sheep and you can watch my gang work to give you some ideas about different ages and stages of training

Hope that helps- oh and now I need a photo :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)