AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

hay equipment change needed. What would you do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Big Square
Posted 5/19/2014 20:31 (#3878822 - in reply to #3878319)
Subject: RE: hay equipment change needed. What would you do?

Eastern Half of Kansas
We did what your contemplating 3 years ago. For ten years we had side pull disc mower, first disc mower conditioner for us, a new holland, we loved it. Wanted to step up a little but wanted to stay narrow for drying. So we bought 12' Hesston hydroswing new, hated it, cutter bar wouldn't cut like a new holland. Hydroswing isn't all it's cracked up to be either, takes a mile to turn around and grab about three levers and the steering wheel.(we don't have finger tip controls here yet. Last straw was frame buckled. Traded it off for a new holland sp, I wanted 13' machine, they're rare, (in eastern ks we have missouri humidity). So we bought a hw365 with 15.5' head. We've mowed, we've mowed 100 acres already this year starting our 4th season with it. Probably not once have I complained I wish had the 13' head or blamed that because of dry down or it got wet. ( maybe only time is we had to enlarge a couple of gates. It takes 16'+ gate. Sometimes you can bump and rub on a 16' gate hole.) Finally I can partly get to your question. We had to upgrade rakes too, we had been running a Vermeer r23a rake. We upgraded to a Vermeer r2800, and also bought a h&s 1460, (14 wheel 60" wheels, larger wheels than most rakes, 54" and a little heavier rake.). Bought a second rake because we were borrowing neighbors to get over the alfalfa in the correct amount of time in the morning. They each have their place but we use he Vermeer for 80-90% of raking. I think last year it raked all heavy grass hay and 1st and 2nd cutting alfalfa. Used the h&s on 3rd cutting after trying Vermeer first and wasn't happy, used h&s on 4th cutting too. I would recommend upgrading rakes. Vermeer is great but not the price tag. H&S ain't bad for the price. I will ad this I own a tedder too, while its not a great one,( maybe that's the problem), I don't use it much, might have used 2 hours last year, only time is use it is when doubled up windrows get wet and I pull them back apart to dry. I just reread your post, I think you'll have to go to a high capacity rake to handle the windrows put out by your swather, although I haven't used a bifold or had any neighbors around with one I don't think it will cut it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)