AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IowaGrainFarmers Kinze rant from the other day
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

KMech
Posted 5/18/2014 11:41 (#3876598 - in reply to #3875144)
Subject: RE: IowaGrainFarmers Kinze rant from the other day

Missouri
Unless there are special circumstances (the first example in my mind is 15" aftermarket spiked closing wheels), there should be nothing wrong with setting the frame down on the hook prior to rotation. This has the advantage of being able to see the hook catch, and also that there is no risk of damage to anything if the hook were to miss. The planter must be run to the top of the post to trip the hook mechanism. Sometimes people forget to do that.

We routinely install the safety stands after the planter has already been set down on the hook. It is easier to get it in there with the toolbar at the absolute top of the post, but it should be possible in either position.

Also worth noting, with the planter set down on the hook, when swinging the toolbar into fold, it should drag on the front latch mechanism a little bit. I like to see them strike on the middle of the ramped area, and it should labor a bit to ride up the ramp into the latch. This allows the front post to carry a little bit of weight, and allows it to have a much better ride going down the road (otherwise it can tend to bounce around inside the catch of the latch). I liken it to putting a little bit of tongue weight on a trailer. There is a such a thing as too much, but the right amount makes for better ride quality.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)