AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Back problem questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

billw
Posted 5/16/2014 23:23 (#3874562 - in reply to #3869056)
Subject: RE: Back problem questions

E. Kansas
When my dad shattered a vertebra several years ago from slipping off a stand when working on a combine, the physical therapist said something like the stronger your abs are, the less stress on your back. My dad was in good shape and recovered quickly after surgery. His injury was just below the rib cage. His main therapy was walking at least 2 miles each day.

Some of your back problems might be countered with physical therapy and exercises, and would be something to investigate by seeing a physical therapist.

A post above mentioned having a pull up bar to grab to help decompress. That might help, especially if you located it, or more than one, around the farm so you'd be walking past it a lot and be more inclined to use it frequently.

Maybe some towers you could stand between that had hand grips or flat tops so you could lift yourself up with your arms to decompress, if that felt better than a pull up bar. You could ask a physical therapist about this and what they might recommend. I'm sure inversion tables work for a lot of people, but you might not need one if you have other means for decompression.

I know you don't want surgery, but if that's the best long term solution for your back problem, you might want to give it more thought after getting a 2nd or 3rd opinion from back doctors or physical therapists. Lots of good info online about back problems and current procedures to correct them from reputable places.

I wish you all the best in getting something figured out for your back problem.

Edited by billw 5/16/2014 23:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)