AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

X
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

lincmercguy
Posted 3/9/2014 17:21 (#3743733 - in reply to #3743470)
Subject: RE: Jobs.

CO, NE
Gerald J. - 3/9/2014 12:59

The youngsters migrate to find paying jobs. Even if the small town isn't shrinking there are not jobs for new hires, unless its a town like Sheffield Iowa with Sukup or Williamsburg with Kinze.

Some in Iowa have noticed that the majority of the graduates from the Iowa colleges and universities go way out of state for jobs. Partly because the pay is higher in the big cities (but not always higher enough to cover the higher cost of living there) and mostly because the jobs for new hires are there, not here.

Gerald J.

That's what happened to me and many like me. Growing up on the farm makes us great troubleshooters, which translate to good engineers and technical skilled workers. We move to the city and do well even though we don't really like the city. Then we have kids and start to remember the good country life did for us. But now Dad's farm isn't enough to make a living off of, land is too expensive to buy more, the close towns don't have the jobs that can subsidize the transition to farm life. Now there are kids to feed and insure. A W2 paycheck is very addicting when the job is decent like mine. So currently, I drive out and farm on the weekends with my brother. I've been contemplating my next move for a while. I could buy a small piece of land with a house close enough to town that would provide some of the benefits and let me work in town. I could probably do that in five years or so. Or I could stash enough cash to go farm for a living. That would probably be 10 or 15 years away. It would probably be closer to semi retirement. Of course, the technology in my work may advance enough that I could do it remotely if I could get a big enough pipe to the internet in the country. Though not all jobs have that option even if it's technologically possible.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)