AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Almost finished farrowing room
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

sflem849
Posted 2/24/2014 17:20 (#3713745 - in reply to #3712643)
Subject: RE: Almost finished farrowing room

SE WI

The first 4 litters of this spring were/are AI litters.  The last litter I had to use the boar.  IMO, if you care about when a sow gets bred you should be hand breeding.  I take the boar out of the pen AM and PM and put him across the gate from the sows to do heat check.  As I got better at checking vulvas and other heat signs I can skip checks because I know nobody will be in heat.  When it comes to breeding and heat checking you can't know too much.

I have never ran the boar with sows since my first fall.  I missed all 7 and didn't catch it for 2 heats.  It wouldn't have been so bad now (6 years later) but it would still suck.  The other problem with running the boar with the sows is they can get lazy.  I had a stubborn sow that I missed because she wouldn't let the boar mount until you helped him corner her even though she was in good standing heat.  (Her notch was 6-6...that wasn't a good sign.  She also destroyed her crate and almost started the barn on fire.  She also had attitude problems with a litter on her.)  It just seems like if they aren't with the sows 24-7 they check them a lot harder.

Soilman - No problem.  Don't be afraid to call again anytime.  I will have a boar or two for sale at some point this summer.  I plan on taking one down to STC in Springfield.

NEIndiana - If you need any Feb-Mar show pigs I may be able to help you out OR look up my buddy Kurt. http://www.junghenshowpigs.com

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)