AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Almost finished farrowing room
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

sflem849
Posted 2/23/2014 20:58 (#3712139)
Subject: Almost finished farrowing room

SE WI

The room is good enough to farrow in and just in time!  The crates are moved in and setup.  We didn't get it painted or wired before we needed it, but it worked ok.  The pigs went in on Sunday night and piglets were on the ground Thursday (but due Mon)  Dad came over on Wed night and primed the new wood.  The electrician came on Thursday and wired up the lights and outlets.  I am most excited about the electric.  I won't have to use extension cords ever again!!!

Still don't have a good plan for manure.  The pans are plugged for now to limit the mess.  I see electric sewage pumps that can supposedly handle 2" solids.  I may build a crock on one end and suck the manure out of the crock and out the window???  I'm not sure I will have enough slope to get it out using gravity.  I know manure storage was brought up last time.  Here in WI we do not require manure storage unless you are greater than 1000 AU.  I'm at 17 AU now (Rob - Read 9 AU NOT 17 ;) ) Granted I agree it isn't a good idea to dump liquid manure on a pile of solid manure.  I'm guessing half of it will run off.  My other thought is to find a cheap septic tank.  That would get you more than enough storage.

Here is the fire trap from before we had real electricity.

Fire trap

Primed and wired.  Dad only primed the "new" wood.  The stuff you see that isn't primed will probably come down this summer to get insulated.

Primed and wired

Litter 2 on the right Litter 3 on the left.  Lit 2 had 12 B 11 BA.  She laid on one the first night.  Lit 3 was 11 B and 11 BA.  She laid on the biggest boar pig while I was doing chores!  I fed and watered the crates first thing.  Then went to the other barn and when I came back she laid on him.  Gotta love pig farming!  I really shouldn't complain about weaning 10 pigs per litter on Berks, but it stinks losing one that is half grown.  The third crate is filled and she should farrow tomorrow.  Hopefully that litter is just as successful.  It is a Big Gulp on a Legend sow.

2 3

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)