AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

When to pull question?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

denice.r
Posted 2/23/2014 19:06 (#3711761 - in reply to #3711540)
Subject: RE: how they dont suffocate

south east Indiana
Pete
Animals are able to be born and not suffocate or get lungs full of fluid because they are attached by the umbilicial cord which supplies the blood and oxygen to them. Once that umbilical cord is broken they have to breath air. Calves coming front feet first get their head out and a good portion of thier body out before the umbilical cord breaks. Calves coming backwards you dont have as much time because the cord breaks while the calfs head in still inside. IF manipulating them around to get them into position to come out and you break the cord. It usually not a good outcome. I have done this in a couple lambs that were not in the right position and by the time I did get them out they were dead.

Animals like dogs and cats it is normal to have breach births. Much smaller animal so it all kinda comes at once then mom will get the sac off. Horses, cattle are larger and the cord is attached to the back 1/3 of the animal so better that the come feet& face first.

Animals that have problems during birth I do not think most babies "drown" because the umbilical cor is still attached. Can't say for sure about large animals but puppies that are in distress before birth their heartrate slows and they die. Being squeezed in the birth canal is not an easy process I imagine.

I dont like waiting either. I try to give them at least an hour after the water bag is broken unless she is pushing hard and not making progress. IF she is pushing and I see progress I will give her longer. Sheep are much easier than cattle and I dont wait much over 30 min. Grab a back leg of mom and pull with the other hand. Today had a ewe I cinched up to a hay feeder with a rope around her neck held the rope in one hand and pulled the lamb with the other.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)