AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Buying Canadian Cattle
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

fsdan
Posted 2/21/2014 19:32 (#3707407)
Subject: Buying Canadian Cattle

Kansas
Have been backgrounding 4-5 wt cattle for several years now. Most purchased locally. Have an opportunity to purchase some 5 weight heifers from Canada. Price seems right on them, but have some questions. Information I am getting is that when they are marketed at 750-800 lbs, there needs to be a pot load of them. These cattle have to go to a feed yard that is certified to handle canadian cattle. Also, when they are finished, they can only go to select packing houses. This is where it gets iffy for me. Since there will be paperwork to go with these cattle, and it is a federal matter, they have to be federally inspected before slaughter. That is all fine and dandy. Here is the kicker. My contact can't guarantee a full pot load at this time. If I wait for him to fill a pot load, he will probably find somebody else to take this half load he is trying to sell me right now. The REAL question is, what if I buy these calves, and he can't fulfill a pot, what the heck am I supposed to do with a half load of canadian cattle? I really don't want to have to find homes for 24 head of freezer beef! I think I know the proper answer in this situation, but figured I would bounce it off of you more "seasoned" cattlemen.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)