AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone north and west of Springfield, IL ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

ben5398
Posted 2/7/2014 15:26 (#3670981 - in reply to #3670421)
Subject: Re: Anyone north and west of Springfield, IL ?

Central Illinois
Muddy - 2/7/2014 10:27

Farming isn't a way of life, its a business and if you don't keep pace with your competitors you will be out of business, unless of course you own 1,000 ac then farm it how you want. But, as long as you are renting ground, there will always be someone who can pay more than you and sell them self (and their operation) better than you, or be married to so-in-so and might even be family. Competition, it's what makes the world go 'round. Never has being "smarter than the next guy" been so important as it is in today's world of commerce, which includes farming. Too many think that if they continue to farm as they have always done they are safe. Think again.

I mostly agree, farming is a lifestyle that is a business. When I commented on the size of 6000 acres I also was talking about the actual profit operations have. I would rather see many smaller farmers squeeze every dime out of a 1000 acre farm then an operation who can not seem to hardly make it on 30,000 and I think our current tax system is set up for the latter. Mostly because the latter will have a large tax bill and that benefits the gov. I dont begrudge anyone having a huge operation as long as they are playing by the same rules.

Many of these large operations get their because of unequal laws and rules. I dont have any problem with someone taking advantage of the rules that are there, they are there, do it if you can, and you must to try to survive, like you said it is a business. Where I have a problem is that the rules are there to begin with, it is time that we move to an equal system for everyone, de regulate our economy enough to allow it to be a true free market, move to the fair tax and we will once again be the great nation we seem to be sliding away from.

To the OP someone that gets so big that they can not finish what they have in a fall will loose their business when word gets out, it is only a matter of time.

Cutting someone equipment is a dispicable practice, one that should not exist. I do not condone it at all but if you weere the one who lost your long time farm to an operation, went belly up because someone moved in on you, then one winter you are looking out at it on your way to your new job at Menards selling garden products and see they have not even harvested it, I bet you would be feeling a similar sensation. I know I would be pretty upset and similar thoughts would cross my mine, I just hope my morals and ethics would stop me from doing it, and I truly do believe they would. I hope such thing never happens to me or you. Best of luck to all and I hope none of us end up in a similar situation.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)