AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alberta Farmer's question: Who orchestrates .....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

RayJenkins
Posted 1/26/2014 11:11 (#3636475 - in reply to #3636432)
Subject: Re: Alberta Farmer's question: Who orchestrates .....

SC Iowa

2003 was "the year of the aphid" in Iowa, with some devastating yield consequences. The state yield turned out to be 32.5 bpa, and some normally high producing counties were in the 20's.

I can remember many conversations with farmers that fall that all had a similar refrain "not going to plant those blankety-blank beans again"

well, what happened in 2004?? Iowa farmers planted 10.2 million acres of soybeans, not quite 4% less than they planted in 2003-----but judging from those fall comments you would have sworn acreage would have been down 10-20-30%---pick a number as they all seemed possible in the fall when folks were terribly dissatisfied with their bean yields.

Now, there are many factors that will go into what gets planted in 2014. I tend to view acreage decisions like a pendulum which can move in a wide path, but eventually ends up closer to the centrist opinion.

Now, Jon, before you go on a rant about how acreage is going to nothing in your part of the world.....I get it....you live in an area with water restrictions, and many have used more water to try and make recent year's crops and now are faced with less water than needed to make corn......and I understand that may be an ongoing thing........sorry it is affecting you so personally....hope for the best for ya

Ray J
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)