AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What should I expect to pay for Ag Leader Insight yield monitor?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

LHaag
Posted 2/17/2008 23:15 (#312519 - in reply to #312482)
Subject: RE: What should I expect to pay for Ag Leader Insight yield monitor?

Colby, Kansas
The AgLeader1500 has a faster output rate than the 17N (10 Hz vs. 1 or 5 Hz), and I would guess is a little more accurate (were talking inches here). Basically for yield monitoring that is only recorded at 1 Hz, and positional accuracy varying by several inches is a non factor (in my opinion). I run some Garmin GPS 18's on my dad's combines, there is no way I could justify the cost of a 1500 to $80 for a GPS18 for just yield monitoring.

Both the software programs are free, and actually work well together. YieldEditor was developed by USDA-ARS, FODM is a generous contribution to the industry by Ted Macy the president of MapShots, an ag software company. If you open yield data from your card with FODM then you can click one button to move it into YieldEditor, clean up the data, and then it brings it back to FODM.

The most valuable part of the YieldEditor software is the ability to filter based on rapid changes in speed, this is the main filter I use and accounts for most errors. Think about what is happening in the combine as your traveling along, each second the monitor assigns one seconds worth of grain flow to an area the width of your header and the length you traveled in one second. So when your traveling through the field and yank back on the hydro, flow rate keeps constant for a while, so you are assigning the same flow rate to a tiny area, thus you get 300-400 bu. yields in a wheat field that averaged 40 bu. The reverse is true when you accelerate rapidly, flow is assigned to a larger area giving really low yield points.

The viewer is available from download at

http://www.mapshots.com/FODM/fodd.asp

Download the Field Operations Viewer and then the modules for the types of data you want to work with.

The ARS Yield Editor Software is available at

http://www.ars.usda.gov/services/software/download.htm?softwareid=2...

Lucas
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)