AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

radish broadcast ahead of peanut picker
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

puff33m
Posted 12/3/2013 20:19 (#3488970 - in reply to #3488514)
Subject: Re: radish broadcast ahead of peanut picker

N FLA
Scott, I have used some radish here for 3 years now. And it really does make the soil "mellow" as these guys say. I mean how can you make a sand mellow, i know. But it ends up with a loam feeling.

I haven't done any replicated work, and I really screwed up this year. That area I broadcast radish, I planted it there last year, same area. This is the first tower on my little 3 tower research pivot. Well we planted twin 30" peanuts there in that area, and outside of that area I planted all 30" singles, but no twins. I had many randomized replicated treatments in the single 30's of different varieties, foo foo, irrigation, etc. Just different research plots. I don't have the numbers here, but I think the twin radish plots were 1,000 lbs higher than every other combination of treatments. I'm not saying twin row wasnt the ticket, but in my mind, that difference had more to do with the radish. I'm talking about yields from about 3,400 to 4,500..... I wish we were doing some replicated work with it.

Interestingly, this was under the pivot, and watered a couple times in 2013. My nonirrigated plots on the other side of the farm were over 5000. Not sure why the differences, but I don't make very high peanut yields under the pivot at this location. Soil type I think.

If you are one to tinker with things, I would recommend it. We measured 400 lbs of Potash per acre in the tubers and tops, with no applied potash and 30 lbs of nitrogen. In our soils that drop potash, maybe that nutrient cycling would have some $ and yield value.....worth looking at. That is what I think was going on with the yields I saw. Again, observations only, not recommendations.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)