AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Teach me about GPS yield mapping
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

dmaxdiesel
Posted 2/10/2008 10:19 (#306101 - in reply to #305733)
Subject: RE: Teach me about GPS yield mapping

Sutherland, IA
Were doing what you want to do with an Insight monitor from Ag Leader. We run the Insight in the planter tractor and do a good bit of split planter mapping in the spring with everything from two different variety's to just two different seed treatments. We plant 16rows and harvest 8 so are configuration works well for collecting the split planter yield data. I was really surprised in how neat the system works in the fall on the combine. As soon as you make the turn and get about 5-10ft. back into the corn the monitor recognizes which variety your in and switches regions to keep the data for each variety separate. Just as an example i was able to compare and log a 14bu./acre yield difference comparing poncho 250 vs. 1250 on the same variety in a moderate root worm pressure environment last fall. I would never had guessed the 1250 would helped that much but the data shows it does over an entire 30 acre field. You'll have about $7k in the yield monitor kit and monitor. Adding the ability to log variety's was another $750 for a multi-product unlock and $370 for a tractor kit to be able to use an implement switch to turn the logging on and off as you raise and lower the planter. I'm sure you won't be disappointed in the Insight and will find yourself using it's other capabilities in other operations in the future.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)