AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GIS programs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 2/5/2008 22:28 (#302190 - in reply to #302028)
Subject: Re: GIS programs

Grand Rapids, MI
The main players in this arena are Mapshots, Farmworks, AgLeader, and SST Development. Here is my two cents on where each would fit.

Farmworks: This company does the best at integrating the accounting and field recordkeeping functions. If you want to switch to a new accounting system and have a close automatic tie, this would be something to look at. It should be a strong consideration if you want to use the system to do management accounting. It is weaker on the GIS front than all the rest.

Mapshots: This company does the best job at managing spatial and non-spatial data. It has a powerful full featured GIS, if you add the Intellicalc module. They have automated a lot of functions to make things go quicker, important if you are processing a lot of acres. They tend to be on the cutting edge of adding more features, etc. so you need to keep up with it. They also tend to be the first to support new data formats from 3rd party controllers (with the possible exception of AgLeader hardware, where AgLeader sometimes likes to hold back)

AgLeader: I have little experience with this. It seems to have a pretty robust GIS system, but probably not as powerful as Mapshots IntelliCalc. I don't think they do as well with non-spatial data, such as FSA/Crop Insurance, etc. I am not sure whether you can track costs or not with their software, I don't believe I have seen this done, but don't know if the capability is there. Probably a good choice if you run AgLeader hardware and only want to use the software to manage spatial data.

SST Development: This company has probably the best Ag GIS software on the market (SST Toolbox). That said it is pricey and has a steep learning curve. They have released a suite of programs called Summit/Stratus that is cheaper and easier. I know from experience with another grower, however, that they have limited abilities in areas such as writing prescriptions. You need to add the more expensive Toolbox program to do that. I am not sure what non-spatial data they track, a couple years ago when I looked last they did not track any costs for example, this could have changed by now. This company IMHO also seems to be more geared to fertilizer dealers than producers.

So my personal advice: If you want the integration with accounting, look at Farmworks and see if it will do what you want from a GIS perspective. If it won't or you don't want to switch your current accounting, look at Mapshots.

If you have read some of my other posts, you will know that one of my firms consulting areas is to set up management information systems on farms. I have expounded there on how the software, while very important, is about 1/4 of the total system. I won't repeat it all here, but if interested look at a few of my other posts here and you will see what I am saying. Of course you may already know this, but I find it is often overlooked.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)