AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

if farming is so bad-from the other side?really?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

ahay68979
Posted 10/12/2013 08:26 (#3379095 - in reply to #3378860)
Subject: Re: if farming is so bad-from the other side?really?

Saronville NE
I have worked for several different farmers or feedlots before coming home to farm, I enjoy what I do but it isn't fun anymore if that makes any sense. What things cost anymore is just ludicrious. You cant afford to fix things but you cant afford to buy new, you definetly cant have payments and repairs together or you might as well just run new and roll when outa warranty. I do a lot of custom work, mainly for the cashflow, but I made more money at it when started 14-15 yrs ago then I do now, was $8 at that time and $14 now, but all the input costs have tripled but rates haven't and cant or you wouldn't have any business, only way it works is to do more and more every yr so you make a nice profit, then everythings wore out and you start over again, I know I spend way more time now doing it then I did 15 yrs ago and making less NET at end of the year, does that make any sense? But it beats the alternative of working for somebody else for $10 an hr. What other people pay for workers on here always just shocks me, I know of way more hired men getting $10 an hr then I do guys getting $15-20 an hr, heck you wouldn't believe how many JD mechanics are only getting $13 an hour and own $40k worth of tools to do their job.

I try to stay positive and think positive cause if you don't it just pulls you down but sometimes it is real hard to stay positive in this environment anymore.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)