AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Question for Jim and other Northern Beef Guys with Grazing standing corn - beef cow questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Baby Robin
Posted 9/15/2013 23:31 (#3330674 - in reply to #3330590)
Subject: Weaning calves tomorrow - then trying to figure out forage options

Fontanelle, IA
Mark -

Definitely agree! I'm doing the split first thing tomorrow morning! I figure that I have 3 days of 70 degree weather to take advantage of before we start our mid to upper 80's later this week.

I've wanted to have weaned for the past 3 weeks; however, the temperatures never backed off and I never had a drop of rain to cut down on dust..... learned a very hard weaning lesson last year weaning in early August in 100 degree heat. Pure Suck-age (and the vet bill sucked really, really bad). :-(

After this week of weaning and haying the cows, I'm trying to figure out what /where to feed the cows. Do you or any of your neighbors run cows on your poorer row crops in bad drought situations? Or, do you have a stockpile of hay that you figure you build over 4-5 years in the "good" years to get you through a year or 2 of "bad" years?

I figure it's a whole lot quicker to add condition to a cow quickly in 50-80 degree temperatures now than having to pour condition onto her into early winter/mid winter when temps are a whole lot colder and the wind starts howling. Dad always said that if you start a year fighting the weather, you usually fight the year the rest of the way through to the end. I'm uneasy about an early, wet, cold winter to finish us out "here".

Edited by Baby Robin 9/15/2013 23:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)