AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 2950 cab tractor clutch issue
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jdprobman
Posted 9/4/2013 11:51 (#3307188)
Subject: JD 2950 cab tractor clutch issue

Hey all, we have a JD 2950 cab tractor. Went to drive it and had half a clutch, won't disengage the engine. Seeing weeping around the master cylinder we suspected possible air-fluid exchange so we replaced the seals. We bled a lot of new fluid, the old stuff looked vile, through the bleed screw on the slave cylinder using a clean oil-can. We attach a clear hose full of brake fluid to the bleeder and then pump with the can once the bleed is open. Its supposed to force air up and out.
We tested the tractor and saw improvement, could actually drive it, but still had rough shifting on 1&2. Bled some more and got a couple more air bubbles out. Tested it again and now have a Very weak clutch. Can't do anything, just grinds if you try.
Just found out that this tractor has a HI-LO lockout, located under the cab, and so we've started bleeding from there instead because its past the slave and has a bleed screw.
Any tips on how to better bleed out infiltrated air?
NEXT DAY...
I tried something else I had read. We used a pry-bar to pry back on the slave cylinder's piston, then applied pressure from the clutch as we released pressure on the slave-cylinder piston. Once the clutch is to the floor and the slave rod is back, we release the clutch slowly.
This produced Alot of bubbles and a very weak clutch. A little more back-bleeding from the slave bleed made more bubbles and stiffened up the clutch. We've done this 6 times now with the same results, perhaps alittle less bubbles now. We've gotta eliminate the bubbles, so we'll keep doing this but we'll back-bleed from the bleed under the cab, the HI-LO lockout, instead. Any other ideas, anyone?
HOURS LATER...
From the amount of air that we were getting constantly from that method of slave-cylinder prying we decided that we must be leaking air into the slave cylinder when we release the clutch. I also heard something of a suction sound at the slave while the clutch is released. Is it possible that those are one-way seals for the piston in the slave that would allow air to force past? Is there any way that we can avoid creating that suction while releasing the clutch, like squirting fluid into a bleed screw while releasing the clutch?
I still don't think that the slave seals are shot because the slave was dry and clean when we started this game. The rubber boot on the piston was shot, but it was clean, too. Any ideas or alternative methods would be appreciated!
NEXT MORNING...
Got some papers from JD describing bleed process. Not any different than what we have been doing. People say that this is difficult, but should it take multiple hours?? With no real results?
Thanks in advance,

Edited by jdprobman 9/4/2013 12:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)