AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

green to brown in two days
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

sdbuck
Posted 8/27/2013 20:22 (#3292949 - in reply to #3292819)
Subject: Re: green to brown in two days

Northeast SD
The same here is northeast South Dakota. Our potential was huge a few weeks ago with the cool temps, but we could not buy a rain and now we are having a solid 7 to 10 days of 95 degrees. I was not and still am not sure how this is going to turn out for yields. I know we have taken the great yields away....just not sure how it will all finish out. Some of our corn is still in very good shape, but the heat and lack of rain has to be hurting yield....both through tip back on the ears, and test weight has to be affected by the push from the heat. Some corn is still green all the way down....poor spots are firing badly. Two weeks ago, we had potential of 175 to 200+ on some fields of corn....and definitely 40 to 50 on soybeans. Our biggest fear was an early frost or the burners got turned on. We got the burners on!!! I would say that now our yields are somewhere in the 125 to 150 for corn, and 20 to 30 on soybeans....and that is pure conjecture. I am in my early 50's, and I can't recall a finish to the season that has been this hot for this long and also starting with a dry soil profile, so I have nothing to compare it to in my mind....but some days that mind is not what it used to be!!! Let's put it this way....I am very thankful we had a great spring wheat crop, and that we also have great crop insurance. Here's looking at next year!!!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)