AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

While we wait for the next Profarmer installment and
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Harmon
Posted 8/20/2013 08:55 (#3277676 - in reply to #3277532)
Subject: Re: While we wait for the next Profarmer installment and

Good Morning Richard, where to start? Old farmer's land to young farmers - most of the BTO's got that way because of enormous government subsidies and OOrooster may be aware of this. Actually, my brother and I fed cattle for 8 or 10 years in Western Kansas. I certainly know about packer consolidation and ownership of feed yards.

As to the "food vs. fuel" situation, my first thought is grain is food. This business "we are doing this to free ourselves from foreign oil" is nonsense. Grain farmers want ethanol because they have made a lot of money because of the mandating of it. OOrooster noticed the 300% increase in farmland and he's right about the cause of it. I have just returned from a tour of the Mediterranean where gas is $10.50 US in Turkey and $9 something in Italy. The point - Illinois has just raised the speed limit to 70 mph. They drive plenty fast in Europe but not in these gas guzzlers Americans use. In the end this ethanol thing is just another approach to an ag subsidy. It certainly does not result in lower food costs. Nobody wants to talk about conservation of energy, not in vogue these days.

When I'm holding a handful of corn, something tells me this is not fuel. Ethanol is simply not sustainable.

Edited by Harmon 8/20/2013 09:01
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)