AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Retired!!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

mbo
Posted 8/9/2013 09:12 (#3257387)
Subject: Retired!!!

southwest mn
After 42 years of planting and harvesting, milking cows, many off farm jobs I decided to retire. Posted some time ago about renting to BTO's. I have only been farming the land I own,after letting rented land go after rent hit $100 an acre. In my previous post I said I would take less than BTO's were paying to help a young guy get started. I rented one farm with some pasture and poorer ground to an 18 year-old guy who is trying to get started with stock cows on share rent. The better farm I rented to a 33year-old guy who farms a quarter and finishes about 800 head cattle in bedding pack buildings. He needs more acres for manure spreading and feed. I wanted cash for the better farm. His farm is in the same section as mine. I visited with him and his family last nite to discuss rental terms. I offered it to him for about $100 less than than the big boys were paying. He said that was too little and offered me more than I was asking. I told him how I started with a quarter and very little help from parents. All I was told by my lenders was that I needed more land. I tried to rent more ground, but all I accomplished was to raise the other guys rent.

I know some will say that I should go after top dollar, but I will get by just fine with what I have. Now I can try to decide how to get rid of my 30year old equipment and get ready for the dozen other guys who will be whining to me that they thought they should get my land. (chest-pounding now) It is a good feeling to know that I may have helped a couple young guys.

Bruce
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)