AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

so my sister calls me....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Chimel
Posted 7/23/2013 14:42 (#3225129 - in reply to #3224747)
Subject: Re: so my sister calls me....

If I had important health problems like that, I would go vegan, gluten-free and organic for a few months to see if it changes anything, and work my way up from there, using ancient varieties of wheat with low gluten, reintroducing meat little by little, a bit more non-organic products, etc.

I don't really think there are any problems with GM food at this level: First, meat is not the same as eating GM feed, you don't eat the GM feed directly, it's the animals that eat it. Then the quantity is also much less, you eat only a few ounces of pork chops as opposed to pounds of feed. Last but one, even assuming that GM feed has for instance less nutrients, the feed ration is usually well balanced with lots of different ingredients, the practice of each farmer is different and that has a far greater impact on the animal than the supposed reduced level of one or two nutrients. Lastly, non-GM crops use pesticides that are usually more toxic than glyphosate, for instance. Eating non-GM meat might even be worse for health.

If you want to remove all possible sources of health problems, start with organics and vegan and work your way up bit by bit until you find the culprit or, in the case of gluten intolerance, until you can tolerate it, as some people said they were able to. Focusing on GM vs. non GM feed would not be very effective. It would be much cheaper than organic feed though, so you can try it until you grow an acre of organic corn and soybeans next year. (Your sister will have to weed it herself though! ;)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)