AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

those who have switched from dairy to beef, any regrets / advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

hillskinefarms
Posted 7/14/2013 22:44 (#3209049 - in reply to #3208920)
Subject: RE: those who have switched from dairy to beef, any regrets / advice

Northern New York
cowhater - 7/14/2013 09:54

just me and my 81 year old father. Only milking 30 right now. Was at 45 a year ago , down to 20 about a year before that. Only way we keep our numbers up is to buy. Dairy is scarce around here so you have to travel a couple of hours or more to most sales. I refuse to go. Dad still goes and usually spends about 24 or 2500 per cow. Has spent as high as 2900 and that cow came in one morning about 3 months after we bought her with a sliced teat. We milked her out of the other 3 quarters for a few months and sent her up the road. Obvious she didn't pay for herself. Had a fresh heifer milking about a month for no reason other than she got spooked while in the milking barn jump up and land right on the edge of my foot. I had two black toes for a couple of days and could not bend them. Thought is was broken at first. Damn bitch went into such a frenzy that she finally fell down and could not get back up (we have 18" tall curb with self locking head gates in barn). Well she went straight to the dry cow lot and is currently waiting for a road trip. All this so we can get subsidy payment from fsa because milk price is so low.
It took me a long time but I came to realize that a truly successful dairyman MUST have a passion for cows and the dairy lifestyle. Sure sounds like the passion is gone for you. No shame in that. When I was younger I always felt a guy who left dairy farming was somehow a failure. I was wrong. It's time for you to find an occupation you can be passionate about again. Good luck. Jeff
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)