AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Nothing left to do but brag.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 6/28/2013 11:22 (#3179259 - in reply to #3178030)
Subject: RE: Nothing left to do but brag.

Little River, TX
Mike, Steve has it fairly close. I put up 34" long bales, The 1003 will work with that length bale and 34" for a 55 lb bale makes for a good solid bale for machine stacking.

I want each flake to be 3 - 4 inches wide. That way if a bale just misses a tie on this stroke the bale will only be 3" extra long.

In my barn I can place three stacks wide against the center bulkhead. Three stacks with of three bales wide, with 18" to 24" between stacks. All this makes keeping track of inventory easier.

About anhydrous for these soils, I have an advantage. Nitrogen does not leach our and if any is not used this season it will be available for later seasons. This particular field had been yielding more protein than nitrogen applied for several seasons, So I caught up in one large shot.
With a high shrink clay, with a 50 CEC plus having a surplus calcium all combine to tie up the ammonia and nitrates.
The school solution is nitrogen can persist for 5 seasons before running out. So for nitrogen it is like money in the bank. Phosphate now is a different story. I need to broadcast 70 + lbs of phosphate to change the soil test by 1 ppm P. Supposedly a later the next generation will recover what I applied over the years.

Because this soil does not fit the standard mold, I rely on the mineral analysis from my hay analysis to monitor fertility.
Now go 150 miles east of HERE and the school solution is nitrogen plays out in 6 weeks. The grazing dairies tell us nitrogen plays out in 3 weeks. But they get all their phosphate back.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)