AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Grass getting way ahead of the cows in rotation
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/21/2013 19:47 (#3167140)
Subject: Grass getting way ahead of the cows in rotation

Driftless SW Wisconsin

The cows must have thought I'd forgotton about them the past few days while I was working on hay.  I started a different pasture in the rotation late this afternoon. They will start on one end of this rectangle and get 50 ft or so more when they get this eaten down minus the thistle. I'm not at all sure how many cow-days of grass this stuff will be. I rarely have it get this far overmature.

With the 2.3" of rain this morning on top of already saturated soils and moderate temperatures my pastures are getting way ahead of the rate the cows can consume it before it gets stemmy and goes to seed.

I think the ability to make hay from some pastures will be a big improvement in my small operation.

The cows and calves rushed in to the grass (and weeds) which had been driven down by this mornings heavy rain but even so still up to their bellies. 

The spring calves seem to be grazing more on their own and growing quickly. Calves average just under 90 days old.  Here are a couple pics fwiw.

Jim

Edited by Jim 6/21/2013 20:14

(IMG_0639_starting new past prime paddock rotation_062113.JPG)

(IMG_0643_starting new past prime paddock rotation_062113.jpg)

(IMG_0644_starting new past prime paddock rotation_062113.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0639_starting new past prime paddock rotation_062113.JPG (80KB - 54 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0643_starting new past prime paddock rotation_062113.jpg (57KB - 68 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0644_starting new past prime paddock rotation_062113.jpg (88KB - 62 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)