AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Great Grain Robbery 1972
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

illfarmr
Posted 1/13/2008 15:13 (#282285 - in reply to #282255)
Subject: Headquarters at "The Lake"

Central Illinois
Three years ago I was invited to fly up there on one of their corporate jets. (I highly recommend the ride.) They took about twelve of us and a Cargill VP from Illinois. After wining (and interviewing) and dining (and interviewing) and giving us the tour (and interviewing), they took us into this beautiful conference room and asked us our thoughts on the future ofgrain farming. They also laid out what their vision was, and with ideas of what it would take to succed. The whole thing was very enlightening. I was amazed about how much they knew about my operation even before we got there. I was also the smallest operator there, so I wondered how I got invited.

Anyway, after getting home, I was telling this to a good friend who had been as high as about number six or seven on the Pork Powerhouse list, before he went broke in the era of ten dollar hogs. (You young guy's do remember what that did to the hog industry?) He suprised me with his questions about; did they show you this thing or that thing, and did they take you here or there? I asked him how knew about all of this, and he told me how he and ten of his pork buddies had been flown in and given the same royal treatment. He also related how ALL TEN of them were then out of the hog business. That took the wind out of my sails in a hurry, however it was still an ineresting experience.

Edited by illfarmr 1/13/2008 15:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)