AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Perhaps its time for some public shaming. S Series Deere combines
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

bigaljack
Posted 6/8/2013 17:31 (#3144313)
Subject: Perhaps its time for some public shaming. S Series Deere combines

Bartlett TX
We ordered two new S670s for harvest '13 and we just finished our wheat crop this week. One of our machines is technically a MY2012 and one is a MY2013. They were built about three months apart. The '12 model S670 has been a HUGE disappointment. Before buying these machines, i was worried because i had read so many people saying that the cabs were LOUD and there were issues with the door sealing up. I kind of disregarded these postings, with my thought process being: "surely deere is aware of the public beating their machines are taking and they will have a PIP coming out ASAP to get these machines fixed". I also thought that since my '12 machine was built right at the tail end of '12 production, it would surely already have some improvements from the factory. Well when both machines were delivered back months ago, i could immediately tell that the '12 model was louder in the cab than the '13, but that was just driving them around on the yard. I tried to reserve my judgement until I took them to the field. Prior to taking the machines to the field, i was in contact with the dealer to see if Harvester Works had released any updates for my machines, and the dealer said no. So we go to the field with the machines with 635f headers to cut wheat and i couldn't have been more disappointed. First of all, the cab is LOUD. I don't know how else to describe it, but its just loud. And this is in wheat, i can only imagine what it is going to be like in corn.... And if that wasn't enough, the vibration in the cab when harvesting is RIDICULOUS!!! The moment the sickle hits the wheat, it sends a vibration through the cab like i have never experienced before. The cab feels like it is hard mounted to the frame of the combine. You feel EVERY lump that goes through the feed accelerator too. It honestly feels like something is going to self destruct underneath you as you harvest, even the ladder shakes like crazy and makes even more noise. For the first day i was scared to push the combine at all because it just didn't feel right. I even thought something was wrong with my header causing so much vibration, so i switched to the other 635f with the same results. I contacted the dealer about these problems (so did my neighbor who also has a '12 model S670 that is even worse than mine), and this is the response they got from Deere:

Complaint or Symptom :
This solution is to inform the field staff that Harvester Works Engineering is currently working on addressing the cab/operator station noise complaint, received during the previous harvest season.

Problem or Situation :
The cab isolators are arranged in a focalized configuration with the two different durometers of isolators depending on the built date.

SOP-55 durometer isolators. Improved noise performance over 65 durometer isolators and acceptable vibration performance with single knife drive headers.

AXE25621-Front

AXE25622-Rear

Running Change MY12-55 durometer isolators. New part number released to resolve supplier issue, which required a spacer washer to be added between the rubber washers and isolator. Same noise and vibration performance as SOP isolators.

AXE26578-Front

AXE26579-Rear

Solution :
MY13 SOP-40 durometer isolators. New isolators are used in conjunction with the new cab isolator orientation in a bi-focalized configuration. Combined with the new orientation isolators provide best noise performance and reduced lateral and vertical vibration. The reduction in lateral vibration is especially noticeable when machine is equipped with a single knife drive header.

AXE33753-Front

AXE33754-Rear

Note: The parts mentioned in the above paragraph will not fit MY12 Machines (745100-755000), due to the updated isolator orientation.

Additional Information :
Harvester Work Engineering is in the works of testing a retrofit kit, which can be installed in place of the current isolators for the MY12 Machines (745100-755000)

So the conclusion that my dealer came to is, we just have to wait for deere to come out with their solution, but we have no idea when that will be. How freakin long does it take to figure out how to fix these issues?!?!? Deere is obviously aware of these problems, and have had over a YEAR to get them fixed!! They have absolutely fixed the problem in the '13 models, so why cant they get something together to fix the '12 models??? Our '13 S670 is a PLEASURE to drive. Its quiet in the cab, there is no vibration issues what so ever. How much longer is it gonna take to get these '12 models combines fixed deere??? It blows my mind that the cab design of the '12 combines ever got passed the testing stages and made it to production!! My 1995 model CIH 2188 was 2x quieter and 10x less vibration, and that was almost 20 years ago! I have zero confidence that these issues will be fixed prior to my corn harvest, which is 45 days away, and i am dreading driving my $300k vibration chair for 4000 acres of corn harvest. And the '12 model is completely under powered. The '13 model could harvest 50 bu lodged wheat cutting in flex mode and easily maintain 4.5 mph at 2150 rpm. The '12 model side by side in exactly same conditions could go about 3.8 mph before the engine would pull down to less than 2000 rpm and give a "harvesting at low engine speed" warning. The '13 model operates like i think a class 7 machine should, i feel like the '12 model is 50hp less, which in my mind is completely unacceptable. In conclusion, i would have to say that if you are thinking about buying an S series deere combine, DO NOT BUY A 2012 model. I really wish i would have bought two '13 models.... Hind sight.... Sorry for my long rant, but i feel every one of my complaints is completely justified, and Deere should get their s**t together and fix these combines. They have had plenty of time to find a solution.

(IMG_20130518_112636_708.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_20130518_112636_708.jpg (43KB - 173 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)