AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Feed In The Evening, Calve In The Daytime.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JoshA
Posted 5/6/2013 10:55 (#3083434 - in reply to #3081548)
Subject: Roy

Alberta, Canada
Won't act like I don't see your valid points, but for me, I'm the same as MCatSHF.

During calving time, like to have the cows fed around 5-7pm. If my bale processor breaks down an then, I guess I'll just spread it with the front end loader. If the tractor breaks down, I guess that's why I "have way too many loader tractors."

Check cows just before dark, check cows at first light. If there's room in the feeders, drop some bales in for the yearlings on my way back, before my morning coffee.

I'd rather leave the farm on errands first thing in the morning so it doesn't screw up my whole day. All I need to do in the morning is check for feet hanging out before I run to town.

Forget the after hours vet bill, I don't want to be doing it anymore than she does!!!

Hate to say it, but if you have an expensive calving call, you just lost your profit on that calf. From that point on everything you do to it and for it is just because of the obligation to look after your animals.

I like day time calving. Sit on the quad reading a book in the sun while I watch a heifer get at it. Vs sleeping in the truck switching the headlights on every 3 minutes to make sure the coyotes aren't creeping up and the calf doesn't have the sack over it's head. All it takes is one stupid cow to try calving in a low spot in the dark to wreck my sleeping pattern and throw me for at least a few days.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)