AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Found this great article about over protecting children.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

aussiebagger
Posted 5/1/2013 20:18 (#3074313 - in reply to #3073121)
Subject: Re: Found this great article about over protecting children.

Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Australia isn't much different. I see kids mums carrying their bags to school, putting them in their lockers, notes into the teacher etc. Mine catch the bus most days. They help each other. My three kids play sport, Netball or AFL footy, go to Joeys/Cubs/Scouts, play some video games, watch some TV and movies, go to Church, HC kids(Sunday school), go to school, do homework, drive vehicles or Ride Quads chasing cows, feed calves and other jobs, household jobs, read books, make their own lunch and still have time to play. I am worn out just typing about it. We try to give them various experiences. I think they need to be able to make mistakes, and with consequences, not to scare them but to learn about reality. A bellowing calf because nobody fed it yet will remind them! Life isn't a video game with a new life everytime, make the best of where you are at. I try hard to make sure they know we Love them, and tell them that. We teach them about God and I also pray they understand Gods Love and grace, I am sure it helps as you go through life and make mistakes.
Someone on here once said if you want your kids to grow up, give them responsibility. Great advice I reckon. Just giving them stuff could spoil them!
I didn't finish high school, but did a trade and then studied things that interested me as I needed to. Has worked for me. My wifes a teacher so we have different views on that, although she can see my point. You don't know what your are good at till you give it a go, so try different things.
It's hard to stand back as a parent and watch your kids do things that could hurt them. But its pleasing to watch them go, wary of what you taught them about and learn some lessons the hard way, and my oldest is only 11. Maybe it's the parents who are soft? I say toughen up princess or do you need a cup of cement to harden yourself up often to my kids, when it's needed. Love your kids and do what they need, not whats easiest for you to do.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)